RULES OF THE ROAD
(State of Colorado)
8. Safe driving tips
8.5. Entering the freeway
High speed roadways generally have acceleration ramps to give you time to build up your speed. When entering a freeway from an on-ramp try to increase your speed to match that of the freeway traffic. Do not merge into traffic until the solid white line has ended. Do not stop in the acceleration lane unless absolutely necessary. Remember, you must yield the right of way to the traffic already on the freeway.
Some freeway entrance ramps have traffic signals which regulate the release of vehicles onto a freeway to allow easier merging and a smoother traffic flow. Motorists on metered ramps will be required to stop and wait to be released on a green light to enter the freeway. The ramp signals operate during morning peak periods (6:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.) and evening peak periods (3:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.).
8.6a FREEWAY DRIVING: Freeway driving is different from driving on a regular street or highway mainly because the highways are designed to move a greater volume of traffic at a higher rate of speed.
- Traffic moving at less than the normal speed should always use the right lane.
- To be courteous to vehicles entering the freeway, you should change to the left (or center) lane, if you can do so safely and without slowing the traffic flow.
- Observe the movement of traffic well ahead of you, around you, and behind you. Be particularly aware of any vehicles traveling in your blind spots.
- Plan ahead, look for directional signs and guidance signs.
- Signal at least 200 feet before you change lanes, avoiding frequent lane changes.
- Do not drive across, over, or within any median or island.
8.6b LEAVING THE FREEWAY: When exiting the freeway, you must use the deceleration lane. This lane is designed to allow you to slow down before reaching the exit ramp without being a hazard to other vehicles on the freeway. Enter the deceleration lane at approximately the speed you were going on the freeway, then slow down after you have entered the deceleration lane to the advisory speed.