RULES OF THE ROAD
(State of Colorado)
8. Safe driving tips
Whenever signs or road markings permit you to pass, you will have to judge whether you have enough room to pass safely. If you do, follow the 5 steps for changing lanes. Return to the driving lane when you can see both headlights of the other vehicle in your inside rear view mirror, using the 5 steps for changing lanes again. Do not count on having enough time to pass several cars at once. To be safe, as a general rule, only pass one vehicle at a time.
DO NOT PASS...
- If you cannot safely return to the right-hand side before coming within 200 feet of an oncoming vehicle.
- If you cannot safely return to the right-hand side before the solid yellow line begins.
- On a curve or hill when your view is obstructed.
- Within 100 feet of a marked or unmarked intersection, or railroad crossing.
- Within 100 feet of any bridge, viaduct, or tunnel when view is obstructed.
You may pass another vehicle on the right side on a oneway street or on a roadway with two or more lanes of traffic in each direction. In no such event shall such movement be made by driving off the pavement of main-traveled portion of the roadway.