RULES OF THE ROAD
(State of Colorado)
8. Safe driving tips
8.11. Mountain driving
Mountain driving can be very different from normal driving conditions. Some hazards you should be aware of are steep hills, changing weather, wildlife, and rocks in the roadway. If your vehicle experiences difficulty traveling up steep roadways, pull off the road at the first place you may do so safely, or stay in the right lane to allow other vehicles to pass.
Here are some added tips:
- Pay special attention to speed limit signs and warning signs, such as those warning of curves, steep hills or other hazards.
- Watch for bicyclists near the right edge of the road.
- Use a lower gear to control speeds while going up or down long, steep hills.
- You must yield to vehicles going uphill if you are traveling downhill on a narrow road.
- Do not coast downhill by shifting into neutral or disengaging the clutch.